- Thu, 15:57: RT @BarackObama: Retweet if you're glad people with pre-existing conditions can no longer be denied health care. #Obamacare
- Thu, 16:06: Got our first batch of Christmas cards almost ready, then realized we have no postage stamps on hand. To the post office... tomorrow.
- Thu, 17:48: Nelson Mandela has died. The human race is diminished.
I don’t know about you, but I’m tired and ready for some things to smile about.
- Amateur Photographer Shoots Largest Ever True Color Photo of the Night Sky. Composed of 37,000 photographs, this is “a 360-panoramic view of the sky taken by trekking 60,000 miles across the western United States and South Africa…”
- High-resolution, zoomable and navigable version is here.
- Best #BisexualFacts. Apparently Bisexual Facts was a thing on Twitter, and resulted in a number of humorous “facts” … which have now been turned into lovely images, suitable for framing or giggling over.
- Best #BisexualFacts, Part 2.
- Australian pigeons team up to use a public water fountain. Because Australia! (Link from Laura Anne Gilman)
- Also in Australia, scientists basically brought a heart back to life without a body. I don’t know whether Australia is the most awesome place in the world, or the most terrifying. (And yes, I know the correct answer is probably “both.”)
- Image gallery from the Hubble telescope. Wow…
Mirrored from Jim C. Hines.
Meanwhile, I'm working on three different projects at once, only one of which actually has a deadline, and even that's a 'soft' deadline. I find it difficult to take myself seriously without a deadline.....
But if I get things done (and even if I don't) tonight I'm going to see Mythbusters: Beyond The Myth, so it's a Very Good Friday. :-)
So last night, when we realized we’d be cruising through Frederick, Maryland at around 8:00 p.m. without having had a chance to eat dinner first, we realized—hey, this is finally our chance to eat off Family Meal‘s dinner menu!
Irene and I have had many brunches and lunches there, starting last July right after they opened. But for a variety of reasons, dinner remained elusive. And so, as we neared Frederick on our way home from a day down county, we thought—gotta be Family Meal!
Turkey pot pie fritters
We’d had chicken pot pie fritters during our second lunch at Family Meal, but never the turkey ones. Glad I finally got to pop a few of these in my mouth. Best delivery method for pot pie filling ever. Better even than pot pies themselves!( Read the rest of this entry »Collapse )
And now? Time for some writing before the soup is ready. And yes, I did -- finally! -- accomplish some writing/drafting last night.
announcing Without a License: The Fantastic Worlds of Keith R.A. DeCandido
Having said that, I have a bunch of stories I do control, including ten Cassie Zukav stories, ten Dragon Precinct stories, and nine others besides (one of which was bought for an anthology that was never printed, another of which I never sold). So Dark Quest Books and I have gotten together, and we're going to put out a collection of my short stories called Without a License: The Fantastic Worlds of Keith R.A. DeCandido. (Thanks to Christopher L. Bennett for the title and Elektra Hammond for the subtitle.) Look for it some time in 2014 or 2015.
The collection will include (not necessarily in this order):
- ---a new Dragon Precinct story
---a Cassie Zukav story (I'm still trying to decide which one to reprint)
---"The Ballad of Big Charlie" (from V-Wars)
---"-30-" (from the Viral miniseries of novelettes, conceived by Steven Savile)
---"The Stone of the First High Pontiff" (from Defending the Future: Best-Laid Plans)
---"Sunday in the Park with Spot" (from Furry Fantastic)
---"A Vampire and a Vampire Hunter Walk Into a Bar" (from Amazing Stories)
---"Editorial Interference" (from Circles in the Hair)
---"Under the King's Bridge" (from Liar Liar)
---"Behold a White Tricycle" (a story I sold to the 44 Clowns: 11 Stories of the 4 Clowns of the Apocalypse, which never actually got published)
---"Wild Bill Got Shot" (a short-short I wrote for "Two Beers and a Story" at some convention or other, but never actually sold)
- Current Mood: pleased
- Current Music:"Jacob's Ladder" by Bruce Springsteen